Saturday 10 August 2013

The Bird Man On My Doorstep

I have been fortunate to have lived in some of the worlds most visited cities.

For three years, I lived in Edinburgh, and before that, for a year in Glasgow.

And then, for 10 years I lived in Leeds in Yorkshire, perhaps not on the itinerary of every international tourist. But at least the home of one of the U.K.’s great opera companies, Opera North. For whom I had the privilege of working, not as a singer, but in its education department.

And so you can imagine my delight to have discovered that yesterday I was simply a stones throw from a truly international event.

Perhaps not up to the standards of some of the events I have been accustomed to, but certainly international.

And so I trundled in my electric wheelchair the several hundred yards to get a view of the pier in Worthing, which is the focus of this particular event.

Which it would be possible to say has its origins back in the 15th century, when a man first dared to contemplate that he might strap on wings and fly like a bird.

That man of course was Leonardo da Vinci, and there were not too many in his mould at this particular event.

It has of course become almost a grand joke, or perhaps an excuse to jump legally off the pier into the sea. In the height of summer.

And we are after all having a summer in Britain this year. This is almost enough to make anyone jump off a promontory into the sea.

But it is here on my doorstep. And it may be an unlikely international event, but it is here. And like the proverbial mountain, since it is here, I may as well climb it.

Fortunately for me, in these days of political correctness, space is set aside for people in wheelchairs to view the grand spectacle from the Lido, not perhaps as spectacular as the one in Venice Italy. But nevertheless, an outdoor bathing spot on the coast, with a balcony that is reserved for us wheelchair users on this occasion.

It’s quite a while since I felt as special as this.

And quite a while since I have simply relaxed by the sea, listening to the relaxing sound of waves slapping the beach below. Quite spectacular.

There is a £30,000 prize, should a flight actually succeed. And the festival is divided into a section open to all, and a section for the more serious competitors for the prize.

In truth, it really is simply a spectacle of eccentricity.

And perhaps the prize money would be easily paid should some form of actual flight take place, simply for the publicity it would generate.

Oh, to be in England, in the Summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment