Saturday 31 August 2013

Quantum Entanglement - Towards A Theory Of Everything

I was always interested in science as a young man, and until I had to choose my A-levels, the sciences were the subjects in which I excelled.

I even confided to my mother that I wished to study to become a Doctor, something which she would never let me forget.

Especially after I chose to study arts subjects at A-level, and then went on to study Philosophy at University.

Now Philosophy is a respectable subject for study, especially when the University were I went to study it was University College London. One of the Russell group of universities, and certainly one of the best in that country.

However, there is no doubt that Philosophy is not a vocational subject, and from my mother's perspective, I believe she was always left with a sense of disappointment that I had not achieved the promise that I had shown as a young man.

The truth is simply that I wished to stop learning more and more about less and less, and to be able to study a subject in which I might genuinely contribute something that would benefit humanity.

The jury is out, as they say, and as I approach the point in my life where I am likely closer to my death than my Youth, perhaps I am better able to judge for my self whether I have succeeded at all.

Anyone looking closely at the list of my blog entries will become quickly aware of the scope of my interests. Which is very broad.

As to whether I have contributed anything unique to the world, that is for those that come after me to judge.

Perhaps my proudest achievements are my three self published volumes, two of poetry, and one of short stories.

In so much as I have little faith, these are perhaps more art a guarantee to me of immortality than anything else.

The simple fact of having to lodge copies of these books at the National Copyright Library, guarantees me that. Irrespective of any sales that may be achieved.

And the fact that the hardback copy of my first collection of poems has been placed in the local history collection of the county council gives me further cause for pride, where my book is rubbing shoulders with works from Shelley, Kipling, and Balzac.

I am under no illusions concerning the reasons for its inclusion in this collection, since it incorporates an essay about my meeting Dame Vera Lynn at the Queen Alexandra Hospital Home for soldiers, both of which are of sufficient historical importance to have guaranteed my volume of poetry inclusion within this collection.

The poems in this special edition are dedicated to Constance Gladys, Marchioness of Ripon, someone that in spite of her death in 1917, is still fondly remembered over at the Hospital across the road from me in Worthing.

It is a simple fact that towards the end of her prematurely ended life, she was one of the principal forces behind the way in which a century on, the Hospital still functions.

However, in despite of my disablement by multiple sclerosis, I have not given up by any means.

And through my blog in particular, I still strive to write thought provoking short pieces that may well continue to receive page views long after my death.

And indeed my next blog will take as its subject something that may well contribute in its controversial way to a subject that could well find its full flowering centuries after my death.

Which will be quantum entanglement. A subject that I have only recently begun to study as an amateur, but which I believe is a subject on which I could postulate theories as adept as someone studying physics might.

My reasoning for this is somewhat connected to my study of philosophy at University College, since my interests let me to take a particular interest in the European moderns.

An examination of the philosophy of the European moderns can just as easily be pursued by an examination of literature, such as the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre.

Since the theories concerning quantum mechanics are very much theoretical constructs, I would argue that an interested amateur might develop substantive theories as much as might be developed by someone engaged in practical experimentation.

And so, I shall be developing my thinking, and submitting it in this blog for others to comment upon, should they wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment