Friday 21 March 2014

How well do you speak Klingon?

I don’t often use this blog to talk about my dreams. In the specific sense of what I have been dreaming about.

But last night, I had a dream. One that I find of sufficient interest to want to write about.

They say that sometimes in your dreams you can process ideas that you might otherwise have missed in your conscious waking life.

This perhaps constitutes one such example.

Quite simply, at some point in my dream, I think I woke up, or perhaps at least had a moment of conscious self awareness.

Enough to be able to remember my dream, and to smile at the thought of it.

Quite simply, in my dream, I was reading a lengthy article in some respectable newspaper which was all about the potential to develop communication with an alien race.

And the entire article was written in Klingon.

Now, I first want to make it clear that I do not speak Klingon.

Most of you will know that Klingon is an invented language, created for the purpose of pursuing an unhealthy interest in the Star Trek series.

I haven’t bothered to research Klingon using the Internet, although it would be a fair guess that it would be possible to discover an entire community of people that spend much time spreading understanding and knowledge of Klingon.

But, I am not one of them.

Although I did find it very funny, and interesting, that in the film Paul, the two young men travelling to America for a comic convention were able to speak fluent Klingon.

They were deluded in thinking that this language might be a useful means of communicating when they do not wish anyone else in earshot to understand what they are communicating about.

Since they have just met Paul, the little green alien in the title of the film, one of them uses his Klingon to be able to suggest that they overpower the alien.

Paul, however, asks if those words being spoken are in fact Klingon.

The idea that Paul is actually an alien, and that he is a danger to either of them, becomes quite farcical when it is realised that he recognises Klingon.

And all that this knowledge arouses in him is confirmation that the rescuers that have picked him up our complete nerds.

Now I am a fan of the new Star Trek films, that have given new life to this old idea.

Into the dark, released in 2013, is an exciting rebirth of the Star Trek film series.

But the idea that Klingon might hold some kind of key to alien languages, and that an interesting article in Klingon might be written for a serious newspaper, is in itself entering the realms of farce.

But as in most intense dreams, I read this article with interest, clearly making some sense of this strange language, and being interested in what was being communicated.

I do not recall anything exact of what was being communicated, and my only residual memory is that I was amused at the context of what I had been doing. Reading an article written in Klingon.

And hence this blog entry.

The conclusion of which is I think simply to be amazed at the possibilities in dreaming.

And part of me is simply relieved that I can have such lucid dreams, in spite of the fact that I have multiple sclerosis, and that although physically I am unable to explore the world, I can still travel to extraordinary places in my dreams.

Long may it still continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment