Sunday 23 June 2013

Watch It All Before You Judge

I recorded a film over the weekend, that I have seen before.

Although when I first saw it, I saw it only partially, several times. And had already decided that I did not consider it worthy to add to my collection.

The name of this film is unimportant, but the significance is that it was only when I did eventually see it from start to finish did I realize quite how good a film it is.

Of course, the same is true of so many things, we can so easily close our minds to them before we really have what they are properly before us.

It was fortunate for me that a good friend had the persistence to recommend the film to me, and to insist that I overcome my prejudices and see the film as a whole.

The net result is another addition to my ever growing collection of films.

Perhaps it isn’t the greatest of films, but it is so much better than my initial prejudices had taken it to be.

It is a fairly early film as a producer in the output of a prolific filmmaker, and in some respects, provides a useful insight into the role that this filmmaker must be playing.

Because it reads in part as a means whereby he is able to provide opportunities for younger filmmakers, perhaps by providing access to a cast that has used in other films.

But it is always helpful to see the breadth of a film-makers work, whether as a  director or as a producer.

As in some respects, this film seems to contain elements of other of other films, explored from subtlly different points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment