Wednesday 1 May 2013

Life Planning

I have been plagued recently by unsolicited telephone calls.

Mostly sales calls, trying to sell me something that I do not need, particularly as I am severely disabled.

In some respects, this is one of those infringements of personal space that are so much a reflection of the freedom that we are so proud of.

But on the other, they are simply an example of companies trying to make sales in difficult circumstances.

I feel for the poor salesman that no doubt often work on commission, that are given "leads" to follow, and their monthly pay cheque will be a reflection of their capacity to obtain sales, or to at least gain the opportunity for a sales person specially trained to obtain access for a face-to-face meeting.

Which no doubt will result in the unsuspecting householder buying something they do not need, perhaps because of the way in which the salesperson has been so thoroughly trained.

I almost fell prey to this myself recently, when somebody was trying to arrange for somebody to call concerning life planning.

On the surface, this seems to make perfect sense. In effect, to pay for one's funeral at today's prices, through an insurance policy that will preserve whatever estate one has for the benefit of one's family.

The carrot in this case, was assistance in completing one's will.

It just so happens that I am considering updating my will, and I almost fell prey to the notion of having someone visit to explain the benefits of this to me.

Having read the leaflet I subsequently obtained, I realised quite quickly that although it was difficult to find logical Fault with what was proposed, this was not something that I need worry myself with especially given my limited income.

It is a simple truth that when I am dead, the last thing that I should be concerned with is the cost of my funeral.

And so I have cancelled this potential meeting, but nevertheless, I have been made to think about this notion of life planning. Meaning, what after my death.

Now the only significant aspect of positive thinking that can be derived from considering this issue is that notion of the bucket list. What do I wish to achieve before I kick the bucket.

Quite simply, all of us could profit enormously from a greater focus on making good use of the time we have.

We have a saying in English, and possibly it will translate to most other languages, that they are only two certainties. Death and taxes.

My days of considering those things that I might wish to achieve that involve travel or spending money are long gone, and in some respects I do not - I cannot - afford to regret this fact.

But I can and I am acting on my deep held ambitions to leave something of my self to those that outlive me.

For anyone that has my blog over the last year or so, she will be aware that I have published two volumes of poetry, and though I still write, using voice activated software, I have recently decided that it is prose and not poetry for which I wish to be remembered.

I wrote my first novel when I was around 30, and I have never sent it to anyone for appraisal in any way.

But recently, at the age of 52, I have dusted it off, and read it over, and decided that it is after all not that bad. For a first try.

And so I have shown it to one of my carers, who is an avid reader, and she has agreed with me. That with careful editing, it will make something worthwhile.

And since the world of publishing has changed so much in the last 10 years, there is not the same stigma associated with self publishing.

And so for the last three months or so I have been working doggedly on my second novel, sacred places. The first four chapters of which I published in my collection of short stories a couple of years ago.

And I have already written a detailed synopsis of a third novel, which I will not look at again until I have completed the second.

And so, every day I write 500 words, which using voice-activated software does not take too long.

And as I have become accustomed to using this assistive technology, I can claim that it allows my prose to follow the natural rhythms of speech, which is no bad thing.

And so, I am working hard to complete this challenge to myself. Can I write these other two novels, in such a way as to be readable and of interest to the general public?

The simple truth is, no one will know unless I complete my task.

It is perhaps unusual for a writer to turn to prose after poetry, perhaps the example I immediately think of is of the novelist that wrote far from the madding crowd, Thomas Hardy. Who in his later life, wrote beautiful poetry which is often sought more highly of that his novels.

But for me, the choice is made. I wish to be remembered as a novelist, not as a poet.

Only history will speak for truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment