Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Shower Chronicles

Over the past few weeks, an idea has been germinating in my mind, stimulated by the conversations that have taken place when I had been showered each day by one particular carer.

Most of you, certainly in the UK, will be familiar with an American television series entitled The Big Bang Theory.

This has probably done more to improve the general understanding among the population of some esoteric theories, particularly concerning particle physics and so on.

Although I am by no means familiar with many such theories, my training has been to have obtained a degree in philosophy, which has in itself introduced me to some extraordinary ideas.

Recently, this particular carer has expressed some interest in some of the ideas that she has been introduced to through The Big Bang Theory.

We have therefore begun a series of conscious discussions which we have entitled The Shower Chronicles, which I have decided to begin to write down an account of before I forget about them.

It is a sad fact of human discourse that it tends to be forgotten quite quickly unless it is written down.

There have been some memorable discussions already, and I enjoy hearing about the way in which the family responds to this new-found knowledge expressed in conversations after work.

This morning was an interesting case in point.

Whilst I was otherwise occupied, I suggested that my carer look up on the Internet the philosophers song from the Monty Python team.

This has provided much opportunity for discussion, and other subjects for research.

Such as the work of the philosopher Wittgenstein, whose name is one of those mentioned in the Monty Python sketch.

I am finding it interesting to revisit some of my studies from 30 years ago, and interesting conversations have resulted.

So for example Wittgenstein only published one book in his lifetime, from which I can only remember one item, when the philosopher states simply that when we come across something about which we cannot speak with certainty, we must remain silent.

This is an unusual case of somebody admitting boundaries to knowledge. And definitely something to store away for Smalltalk at dinner time.

We have also discussed some of the writings of Plato, who records conversations with his tutor Socrates. About whom nothing would be known if Plato had not recorded his Dialogues with Socrates, and thus given the reputation that Socrates has of being one of the worlds greatest ever philosophers.

I sometimes feel as if I am like Professor Higgins from the musical version of the play in which he places a bet with a friend that he can make a Duchess from a flower seller, with extraordinary consequences.

It is wonderful for me to have a reminder of my distant academic past, and an excuse to brush up on so many of the things I have already forgotten from those days.

It is never too late for self improvement, and a reminder of previous education achievements is never a bad thing.

As The Shower Chronicles progress, who knows that they might not make for an interesting series of essays about interesting subjects, explored under exceptional circumstances perhaps, whilst I am simply undertaking my morning ablutions.

It is perhaps yet another example that I have too much time to spend on nothing of consequence, but it certainly makes for a more interesting time in the shower.

And I await with interest the stories of how these extraordinary moments of conversation are received, often with surprising results.

Nothing like keeping one's family on their toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment