Tuesday 30 October 2012

Another Festival, Another Film

One of my carers had quite a shock over the weekend.

I had spoken to my Care Manager about the fact that over the weekend, I received notification that one of my films had been selected for exhibition at the Moscow International Disability Film Festival that is taking place just a fortnight away.

I had expressed my desire to be able to attend this Festival, and my Care Manager had sent a text to the carer that was to be looking after me for the next couple of weeks whilst my Care Manager is on holiday.

The shock that came in the text was the idea that she should explore all the logistics of flights and so forth, and all of the things associated with traveling long distances when you have the kind of needs that I have.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the shock experienced by my carer, and she is quite relieved to have had my more considered thoughts that of course it would be impractical at such short notice, not least of all because of the difficulty of arranging a Visa at such short notice.

Anyway, all of my efforts are being focused on making sure that the Festival has everything they need to be able to subtitle the film in Russian, and perhaps technology may enable me to take part in some way from the comfort of my apartment on the South Coast.

My friends are of course delighted, not least of all my cameraman Paul who is a great fan of Bond films, his e-mail response to me was along the lines of From Russia With Love, and equally delighted were my friends that work in the world of opera and and enabled me to use a short recording of their work as part of the soundtrack.

It is most surreal for me to contemplate this latest film success, following from my inclusion in the programme of the Calgary Festival in Canada, earlier this year, and so two of my films have been included in different festivals in different parts of the world.

And a short version of this film was considered to be a runner up and shortlisted for a BBC World Service competition earlier this year, and therefore broadcast outside of the UK in a World Service television programme.

I have spoken to my shocked Carer and suggested a further change to the way in which I describe her work for me, which more recently I have in any case changed from Carer to Minder. Mainly because her principle job when we are out and about seems to be keeping me out of trouble.

The latest suggested change is to Handler, which has a ring about it of someone looking after someone important.

But I am not losing perspective entirely.

The irony of my success with my filmmaking, and also with my writing for a national magazine targeted at Carers and Care Managers, is that it has come about only as a consequence of my becoming severely disabled.

But it is some recompense, and certainly gives me a sense of satisfaction that I am still able to contribute something to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment