Friday 9 March 2012

Not Life As Expected

Since I have started to write this blog I have begun to see my life differently. As if before I saw it through a glass darkly.

And now that I write so many articles in magazines like Care Talk about aspects of my life and the way it is led, I am reminded of films in which everything that seems real is revealed to be nothing more than an appearance of reality.

It isn’t that my life is not reall. Perhaps surreal at times, more real than it might have been had I not been given the perspective that I have because of my diagnosis with multiple sclerosis.

And the viewpoint from which I perceive the world, and perhaps have the opportunity to think more than I might have had, if I had continued to work full-time, and did not have the leisure enforced upon me by my condition.

The next article to appear in Care Talk is about me, written by one of the staff writers, on the subject of assistive technology. I had the opportunity to write the article, but I thought it would be much better written from someone outside of myself, and less likely for me to simply see it as an opportunity to grandstand my own use of assistive technology.

Particularly the way in which I can use voice activated software, with which I am writing this blog for example. And with which I have been able to create my two collections of poetry, and my short stories.

I have always written, and I used to pride myself on my capacity to type quickly and efficiently. But there is no doubt that with voice-activated software I can type so much quicker and easier using my voice these days than my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment